The CDC recommends a yearly flu vaccine as the first and most important step in protecting against flu viruses.
It is hard to believe, but flu shot season is already here! If you and your family have Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts insurance, this is what you need to know about getting the flu shot this year.
- In most cases, there will be no cost for your flu shot. However, we encourage you to review your benefits or call Member Service to verify that this applies to your specific plan.
- You will be able to receive a flu shot from a wide-variety of Blue Cross approved providers (for a full list of options please see below).
- You must bring your member ID card with you when you get your flu shot.
Where do I find an approved flu shot provider?
Blue Cross has partnered with a range of doctors, hospitals, and facilities to offer flu shots. Before receiving a flu shot, you should verify that you will have coverage at that location.
Flu shot providers include:
- Retail pharmacies – all pharmacies that participate with Express Scripts, Inc. – for members with pharmacy benefits (visit express-scripts.com to find participating pharmacies)
- Limited services clinics
- Urgent care centers
- Public-access clinics offered through many cities and towns
- Primary care provider’s office
- Nurse practitioner’s office
- Specialist’s office
- Certified nurse-midwife’s office
- Outpatient department of a hospital
How to find information about specific providers?
|Type of provider:||Location:||Website:|
|Pharmacy – for members with pharmacy benefits
|Use Express Scripts, Inc.’s website||www.express-scripts.com|
|Retail or public clinic||Use the Member Central Website||www.bluecrossma.com/membercentral|
|Doctor, in or outside
|Use the Find a Doctor feature||www.bluecrossma.com/findadoctor|
Flu Prevention Tips and Treatment Options
For information on preventing and treating the flu, visit Blue Cross’s Member Central website.
Please note: FluMist (intranasal) is also covered, when made available by a participating health care provider.
For questions, please email Danielle Pepin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This content is provided with the understanding that HR Knowledge is not rendering legal advice. While every effort is made to provide current information, the law changes regularly and laws may vary depending on the state or municipality. The material is made available for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for legal advice or your professional judgment. You should review applicable laws in your jurisdiction and consult experienced counsel for legal advice. If you have any questions regarding this advisory, please contact HR Knowledge at 508.339.1300 or email us at HR@hrknowledge.com.