In 2018, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts re-introduced the HIRD form. The HIRD form is a state reporting requirement which collects information about your employer-sponsored insurance (ESI). The HIRD reporting is administered by MassHealth and the Department of Revenue (DOR) through the MassTaxConnect (MTC) web portal. The HIRD form will assist MassHealth in identifying its members with access to qualifying employer-sponsored coverage who may be eligible for the MassHealth Premium Assistance Program.
The HIRD form consists of questions related to each medical plan that you offer. Some information such as deductibles and out-of-pocket maximum levels may be found within your Summary of Benefits.
You may also be asked to provide:
- Eligibility waiting periods
- Minimum hours worked per week to qualify for health insurance
- Any eligibility categories i.e. full-time, part-time, salary, hourly
- Plan Year/Renewal Date
- Monthly cost for each plan including employer and employee cost share
Who Needs to File a HIRD Form?
If you are an employer who currently has (or had) six or more employees in Massachusetts during the past 12 months preceding the due date of this form (December 15th of the reporting year), you are required to complete the HIRD form. Employees would be any induvial included on your quarterly wage report to the Department of Unemployment Assistance (DUA) during the past 12 months. If you are an out-of-state employer that does not file a report to the DUA an employee would be any individual hired for a wage or salary in the MA to perform work (full-time or part-time status).
When Do You Need to File the HIRD Form?
Filing can be done as early as November 15th, 2021 on the MTC Web Portal. The Annual Health Insurance Responsibility Disclosure (HIRD) Form is due no later than December 15, 2021.
How Do You File the HIRD Form?
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts provided the following instructions on filing through the MTC Web Portal:
- Login to your MassTaxConnect (MTC) Web Portal
- Select the “File health insurance responsibility disclosure” hyperlink, under the “I Want To” section
If you do not have an MTC account, or if you forgot your password or username, you may follow the instructions provided on the MTC web page, or contact the DOR at: 617-466-3940.
Employers Next Steps
- All employers that have (or had) 6 or more employees in Massachusetts in any month during the past 12 months preceding the due date of the form, you are required to complete the HIRD form.
- Submit your filing between November 15, 2021 and December 15, 2021 on the MassTaxConnect (MTC) Web Portal. The Annual Health Insurance Responsibility Disclosure (HIRD) Form is due no later than December 15, 2021.
- For assistance with answers to the HIRD Form questions, please contact our Benefits Team.
- If you do not have an MTC account, or if you forgot your password or username, you may follow the instructions provided on the MTC web page, or contact the DOR at 617-466-3940.
- HR Knowledge is unable to file the HIRD Form with MassTaxConnect on your company’s behalf.
- The Commonwealth of Massachusetts released Frequently Asked Questions related to the HIRD form.
- Please contact our Benefits Team if you have any questions.
The People Simplifying HR
For almost twenty years, HR Knowledge has made it our mission to demystify the complex and daunting process of HR management. We do more than just provide the level of service and technology you’d expect from an industry leader. We combine an unparalleled passion for service with our decades of HR, payroll, and benefits experience to provide our clients with personalized and actionable advice that is second–to–none. From managed payroll to employee benefits to HR support, we can help your organization thrive, grow, and reduce operating costs—no matter what industry you serve. Whether you’re interested in our Full-Service solution or just need your employee handbook written, HR Knowledge can help you minimize risk while staying on top of compliance regulations. The bottom line? We’re not just another cloud-based technology company that also does HR, #WeAreHR. Get the scoop on how we can help you simplify HR.
This content is provided with the understanding that HR Knowledge is not rendering legal advice. While every effort is made to provide current information, the law changes regularly and laws may vary depending on the state or municipality. The material is made available for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for legal advice or your professional judgment. You should review applicable laws in your jurisdiction and consult experienced counsel for legal advice. If you have any questions regarding this content, please contact HR Knowledge at 508.339.1300 or email us.