Effective January 1, 2021, the application process for Massachusetts Paid Family and Medical Leave has opened for all Massachusetts W2 employees.
The Massachusetts Department of Family and Medical Leave (DFML) requires the contact information for your company’s Leave Administrator be updated in their system as soon as possible. The Leave Administrator will be responsible for confirming the accuracy of, and providing details on, employee claims for paid leave benefits. Ensure your Leave Administrator has taken the following actions to register:
- Visit https://paidleave.mass.gov/employers/create-account/
- Provide the leave administrators email address
- Create a password
- Enter your federal employer ID number (FEIN)
- Click “Create account”
Once registered, the Leave Administrator will begin to receive notifications for their employees’ paid leave benefit applications.
If the Leave Administrator provides their contact details, the Department will continue to process applications using the information the employee provided on their application, which more than likely will not be the appropriate contact at your organization, so we highly encourage employers to update this information as soon as possible.
Employers Next Steps
- This notification is for employers covered under the public option (Commonwealth’s Paid Family and Medical Leave plan) and not through a private plan.
- Ensure your Leave Administrator has taken the actions above and provided their contact details to the Massachusetts Department of Family and Medical Leave.
- If you have employees who need to apply for leave; Employees should create an account and apply for leave through the Department of Family and Medical Leave (DFML) website.
- If you are a Full-Service or Virtual HR client, please contact us with any questions or if you need assistance updating your leave policies.
The People Simplifying HR
For almost twenty years, HR Knowledge has made it our mission to demystify the complex and daunting process of HR management. We do more than just provide the level of service and technology you’d expect from an industry leader. We combine an unparalleled passion for service with our decades of HR, payroll, and benefits experience to provide our clients with personalized and actionable advice that is second—to—none. From managed payroll to employee benefits to HR support, we can help your organization thrive, grow, and reduce operating costs — no matter what industry you serve. Whether you’re interested in our Full-Service solution or just need your employee handbook written, HR Knowledge can help you minimize risk while staying on top of compliance regulations. The bottom line? We’re not just another cloud-based technology company that also does HR, #WeAreHR. Get the scoop on how we can help you simplify HR.
This content is provided with the understanding that HR Knowledge is not rendering legal advice. While every effort is made to provide current information, the law changes regularly and laws may vary depending on the state or municipality. The material is made available for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for legal advice or your professional judgment. You should review applicable laws in your jurisdiction and consult experienced counsel for legal advice. If you have any questions regarding this content, please contact HR Knowledge at 508.339.1300 or email us.