The New Hampshire Paid Family and Medical Leave Plan (NH PFML) is the nation’s first voluntary, state-sponsored paid leave plan. This plan takes effect on January 1, 2023, when employers in New Hampshire will be able to participate. NH PFML is an insurance plan that provides NH workers with wage replacement coverage for specific covered reasons.
- NH PFML is available to all NH employers and NH workers through MetLife, the state’s PFML insurance partner
- NH employers and eligible NH workers can purchase a paid family and medical leave insurance plan that provides up to 60% wage replacement for up to six weeks per year for absences from work for covered common life events
- NH PFML insurance can be purchased from MetLife, the state’s insurance partner for the plan, through an insurance agent or broker
- Employers who purchase NH PFML from MetLife are eligible to receive a Business Enterprise Tax (BET) credit of up to 50% of the premium they pay on behalf of their workers
- NH PFML insurance provides wage replacement during absences from work for common life events, such as:
- One’s own serious health condition(s) when disability coverage doesn’t apply, including childbirth;
- Child bonding due to birth, adoption, or fostering;
- Serious health condition(s) of a family member;
- Qualifying needs arising from military deployment or service;
- Caring for a qualifying military service member
- This is not a mandatory program; private employers may choose to opt-in to this offering, but it is not required.
- If employers elect not to participate in the NH PFML plan, employees may purchase individual insurance plans that provide six weeks of paid leave, subject to a seven-month waiting period.
- Employers’ 60-day enrollment begins December 1, 2022.
- Individuals’ 60-day open enrollment begins January 1, 2023.
Employer Next Steps
NH employers may consider enrolling to offer or expand their paid family and medical leave benefits to eligible employees. To learn more or to add this benefit click here or call the MetLife Customer Solution Center at 1-866-595-PFML (7365).
For almost twenty years, HR Knowledge has made it our mission to demystify the complex and daunting process of HR management. We do more than just provide the level of service and technology you’d expect from an industry leader. We combine an unparalleled passion for service with our decades of HR, payroll, and benefits experience to provide our clients with personalized and actionable advice that is second–to–none. From managed payroll to employee benefits to HR support, we can help your organization thrive, grow, and reduce operating costs—no matter what industry you serve. Whether you’re interested in our Full-Service solution or just need your employee handbook written, HR Knowledge can help you minimize risk while staying on top of compliance regulations. The bottom line? We’re not just another cloud-based technology company that also does HR, #WeAreHR. Get the scoop on how we can help you simplify HR.
This content is provided with the understanding that HR Knowledge is not rendering legal advice. While every effort is made to provide current information, the law changes regularly and laws may vary depending on the state or municipality. The material is made available for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for legal advice or your professional judgment. You should review applicable laws in your jurisdiction and consult experienced counsel for legal advice. If you have any questions regarding this content, please contact HR Knowledge at 508.339.1300 or email us.