New Hampshire announced the Granite State Paid Family Leave Plan, the state’s new paid family medical leave program, anticipated to take effect on January 1, 2023.
- Private employers are given the choice to opt in or out of this plan
- Private employers who opt to fund all or part of the plan will be awarded with a tax credit (equivalent to 50% of premiums paid by the employer).
- Private employers will be contracted with an insurance carrier determined by the state.
- State employers are mandated to offer their permanent employees the coverage at no cost to the individual.
- Qualified leaves will include:
- The birth of a child of the employee or placement of a child with the employee for adoption or fostering, within the past 12 months;
- A serious health condition of a family member; or
- A qualifying military exigency or to care for a service member with a serious injury or illness.
- Individuals who seek leave from the fund will receive 60% of their average weekly wage for up to six weeks.
- The leave may run concurrently with other applicable leaves.
Employers Next Steps
- HRK will continue to monitor for more information as it gets published.
- New Hampshire employers should review their handbook and parental leave policy to ensure compliance with this new law.
- If you are a Full-Service or Virtual HR client and would like our assistance with updating your policy, please email us.
- If you have further questions regarding this e-Alert, please email us.
The People Simplifying HR
For almost twenty years, HR Knowledge has made it our mission to demystify the complex and daunting process of HR management. We do more than just provide the level of service and technology you’d expect from an industry leader. We combine an unparalleled passion for service with our decades of HR, payroll, and benefits experience to provide our clients with personalized and actionable advice that is second–to–none. From managed payroll to employee benefits to HR support, we can help your organization thrive, grow, and reduce operating costs—no matter what industry you serve. Whether you’re interested in our Full-Service solution or just need your employee handbook written, HR Knowledge can help you minimize risk while staying on top of compliance regulations. The bottom line? We’re not just another cloud-based technology company that also does HR, #WeAreHR. Get the scoop on how we can help you simplify HR.
This content is provided with the understanding that HR Knowledge is not rendering legal advice. While every effort is made to provide current information, the law changes regularly and laws may vary depending on the state or municipality. The material is made available for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for legal advice or your professional judgment. You should review applicable laws in your jurisdiction and consult experienced counsel for legal advice. If you have any questions regarding this content, please contact HR Knowledge at 508.339.1300 or email us.