*NOTE – NYC employees have separate sick leave requirements.
Clarifications provided by the new regulations:
- NYS employers determine their size by counting all employees nationwide (even if they work outside of NY).
- An employee must be allowed to rollover all unused, accrued hours to the following calendar year.
- Employers, at their discretion, may opt to pay out employees their unused, accrued sick leave at the end of the year instead of allowing rollover.
Notice to Employer
- Although it is difficult for employers to cover for an employee’s absence on short notice, the NYSSL does not require employees to provide advance notice. In fact, employers cannot deny an employee the right to use sick leave based on notification.
- If an employee uses their sick leave for three or more consecutive workdays, they are required to provide an attestation to their employer “supporting the existence of a need for sick leave.” However, employers cannot require the employee or their medical provider to disclose the reason for the sick leave usage.
- The NYSDOL indicated a template for employers to use is forthcoming.
- Employees are to be paid their regular rate of pay or the applicable minimum wage, whichever is greater, for sick leave.
Employer Next Steps
NYS employers should be on the lookout for any additional regulations or guidance. It is still unclear whether the NYSLL permits employers to cap the total amount of sick leave an employee can accrue.
To be best prepared for employee questions:
- Review current sick leave policies.
- Keep track of accrued leave for employees.
- If you are a Full-Service or Virtual HR client and would like our assistance with updating your policy, please email us.
The People Simplifying HR
For almost twenty years, HR Knowledge has made it our mission to demystify the complex and daunting process of HR management. We do more than just provide the level of service and technology you’d expect from an industry leader. We combine an unparalleled passion for service with our decades of HR, payroll, and benefits experience to provide our clients with personalized and actionable advice that is second–to–none. From managed payroll to employee benefits to HR support, we can help your organization thrive, grow, and reduce operating costs—no matter what industry you serve. Whether you’re interested in our Full-Service solution or just need your employee handbook written, HR Knowledge can help you minimize risk while staying on top of compliance regulations. The bottom line? We’re not just another cloud-based technology company that also does HR, #WeAreHR. Get the scoop on how we can help you simplify HR.
This content is provided with the understanding that HR Knowledge is not rendering legal advice. While every effort is made to provide current information, the law changes regularly and laws may vary depending on the state or municipality. The material is made available for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for legal advice or your professional judgment. You should review applicable laws in your jurisdiction and consult experienced counsel for legal advice. If you have any questions regarding this content, please contact HR Knowledge at 508.339.1300 or email us.