e-Alerts

e-Alert: Washington State Announces PFML Rates for 2022

By November 18, 2021 No Comments

Background

Washington state’s  Paid Family & Medical (PFML) program provides leave to employees who have worked a minimum of 820 hours during the qualifying period through an eligible employer(s). Washington PFML can be used when an employee is suffering from a serious medical condition that prevents them from working, for bonding with a new baby or child, or to care for a qualified family member suffering from a serious medical condition. The benefit and premium rates for Washington PFML will be updated on January 1, 2022.

Summary

Premium Rate

The premium rate will increase from 0.4% to 0.6% of an employee’s annual earnings up to $147,000, not including tips. Employers with 50 or more employees will contribute up to 26.78% of the premium, while the employee will contribute the remaining 73.22%. Employers may voluntarily elect to pay some or all the employee’s share on their behalf. Employers with fewer than 50 employees are not required to make contributions to the premium, but will be eligible for grant assistance if they elect to contribute voluntarily.

Benefit Rate

The maximum weekly benefit rate will increase from $1,206 in 2021 to $1,327 in 2022.

Employer Withholding

All applicable withholding payments should be made through the employer’s filing of quarterly reports through SecureAccess Washington (SAW).

Employers Next Steps

  • Employers should make sure their payroll records are updated to collect the adjusted contribution rates for both employees and employers (if applicable).
  • Employers must notify employees about the PFML program by posting a notice or sending the notice to employees, you can access both a poster or a paystub insert here.
  • If you are a Full-Service or Virtual HR client and would like our assistance with updating your Washington PFML policy, please email us.

The People Simplifying HR

For almost twenty years, HR Knowledge has made it our mission to demystify the complex and daunting process of HR management. We do more than just provide the level of service and technology you’d expect from an industry leader. We combine an unparalleled passion for service with our decades of HR, payroll, and benefits experience to provide our clients with personalized and actionable advice that is second–to–none. From managed payroll to employee benefits to HR support, we can help your organization thrive, grow, and reduce operating costs—no matter what industry you serve. Whether you’re interested in our Full-Service solution or just need your employee handbook written, HR Knowledge can help you minimize risk while staying on top of compliance regulations. The bottom line? We’re not just another cloud-based technology company that also does HR, #WeAreHR. Get the scoop on how we can help you simplify HR.

This content is provided with the understanding that HR Knowledge is not rendering legal advice. While every effort is made to provide current information, the law changes regularly and laws may vary depending on the state or municipality. The material is made available for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for legal advice or your professional judgment. You should review applicable laws in your jurisdiction and consult experienced counsel for legal advice. If you have any questions regarding this content, please contact HR Knowledge at 508.339.1300 or email us.

 

DOWNLOAD PDF
https://www.hrknowledge.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/e-Alert_Medicare-Part-D-Notice-Reporting-Reminder.pdf