In the interest of increasing education about COVID-19 and limiting the spread of the virus, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has provided a list of common symptoms on their website. Initially, this list was limited to fever, cough, and shortness of breath, but the CDC has now issued an expanded list of symptoms.
For additional information from the CDC on COVID-19 symptoms and other guidance, please visit their website.
The updated list of common COVID-19 symptoms issued by the CDC includes the following:
- Repeated shaking with chills;
- Muscle pain;
- Sore throat;
- New loss of taste or smell;
- And the originally listed symptoms, fever, cough, and shortness of breath
The CDC has noted that this list of symptoms is not all inclusive and that individuals should consult with a medical professional or health care provider regarding any other symptoms that are severe or concerning. As the CDC learns more about COVID-19, this list of symptoms may be expanded or updated further.
Employer Next Steps
- Employers should be aware of these additional symptoms as part of their ongoing efforts to reduce and prevent transmission of COVID-19 among employees, ensuring a safe and healthy work environment.
- Employers should be sure to have a written communicable disease plan or policy in place that accounts for any symptoms identified by the CDC.
- Employers may also need to revisit the language in their paid leave policies, because CDC guidance is used, in part, to determine employees’ eligibility for paid sick leave under the FFCRA.
- If you are a Full-Service or Virtual HR client and would like our assistance with updating your FFCRA policies, please email us.
The People Simplifying HR
For almost twenty years, HR Knowledge has made it our mission to demystify the complex and daunting process of HR management. We do more than just provide the level of service and technology you’d expect from an industry leader.
We combine an unparalleled passion for service with our decades of HR, payroll, and benefits experience to provide our clients with personalized and actionable advice that is second—to—none.
From managed payroll to employee benefits to HR support, we can help your organization thrive, grow, and reduce operating costs — no matter what industry you serve. Whether you’re interested in our Full-Service solution or just need your employee handbook written, HR Knowledge can help you minimize risk while staying on top of compliance regulations.
The bottom line? We’re not just another cloud-based technology company that also does HR, #WeAreHR.
This content is provided with the understanding that HR Knowledge is not rendering legal advice. While every effort is made to provide current information, the law changes regularly and laws may vary depending on the state or municipality. The material is made available for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for legal advice or your professional judgment. You should review applicable laws in your jurisdiction and consult experienced counsel for legal advice. If you have any questions regarding this content, please contact HR Knowledge at 508.339.1300 or email us.