Employees Entitle to Four Hours Per Injection
New York has passed a law requiring employers to provide employees with paid leave to receive a COVID-19 vaccine. The law took effect immediately on passage on March 12, 2021, and expires December 31, 2022.
- Under the new law, employees must be allowed a sufficient amount of paid leave to receive the COVID-19 vaccine, and the paid leave may not be charged against any other leave that the employee is entitled to, including paid sick leave required by state law.
- The employee can receive up to four hours per vaccine injection, so if they are receiving two vaccines, they are entitled to eight hours paid leave.
- Employees subject to a collective bargaining agreement may be entitled to additional time, and employers are free to provide more time if they choose to.
- Employees are compensated at their regular rate during the leave.
- The law prohibits employers from discriminating against or retaliating against any employee who takes or requests paid COVID-19 vaccination leave, or otherwise exercises their rights under the law.
Employers Next Steps
- HRK will continue to monitor COVID-19-related leave laws.
- If you are a Full-Service or Virtual HR client and would like our assistance with updating your policy, please email us.
The People Simplifying HR
For almost twenty years, HR Knowledge has made it our mission to demystify the complex and daunting process of HR management. We do more than just provide the level of service and technology you’d expect from an industry leader. We combine an unparalleled passion for service with our decades of HR, payroll, and benefits experience to provide our clients with personalized and actionable advice that is second–to–none. From managed payroll to employee benefits to HR support, we can help your organization thrive, grow, and reduce operating costs—no matter what industry you serve. Whether you’re interested in our Full-Service solution or just need your employee handbook written, HR Knowledge can help you minimize risk while staying on top of compliance regulations. The bottom line? We’re not just another cloud-based technology company that also does HR, #WeAreHR. Get the scoop on how we can help you simplify HR.
This content is provided with the understanding that HR Knowledge is not rendering legal advice. While every effort is made to provide current information, the law changes regularly and laws may vary depending on the state or municipality. The material is made available for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for legal advice or your professional judgment. You should review applicable laws in your jurisdiction and consult experienced counsel for legal advice. If you have any questions regarding this content, please contact HR Knowledge at 508.339.1300 or email us.